W2 Forms – Copy A
W-2 form Federal Copy A reports wage and withholding information to the SSA (Social Security Administration) from the employer.
This form must be preprinted with red scannable ink unless you laser generate it using an IRS approved software package.
COMPATIBLE WITH QUICKBOOKS!
Order by the number of forms needed, not the sheets. Not perforated – DO NOT SEPARATE FORMS!
- 2up forms
- 8.5″ x 11″
- No side perforation (format changed in 2001)
- 20# laser paper
- Red scannable per IRS requirements
Mail in a batch to the Social Security Administration
How to Choose the Right W-2 Forms
OPTIONS FOR FILING W-2 FORMS
- Your Accounting Software: Print W-2 forms compatible with your software, such as QuickBooks®.
- Specialized W-2 Software: Print and e-file W-2 forms if your accounting software does not.
- Online W-2 Filing: Enter or import data and we print, mail and e-file for you!
TYPES OF W-2 FORMS
All government copies must be printed in a 2up format (2 forms per page)
Employee copies may be printed in a 2up, 3up or 4up format (2, 3 or 4 forms per page; also called ‘condensed forms). All of the copies for a single employee will print on one page. You simply fold and mail – no need to separate and collate forms! Your software may support these formats, be sure to check its functionality before ordering.
NUMBER OF PARTS
The number of parts you need is determined by which government agencies you are reporting to.
- Federal Only – 4 parts
- Federal and State – 6 parts
- Federal, State and City – 8 parts
When using condensed 2up, 3up or 4up forms, you can print all employee copies on a single sheet to save time.
- For a 4-part form, use 2up paper.
- For a 6-part form, use 3up paper.
- For an 8-part form, use 4up paper.
4-Part States: AK, FL, NV, NH, SD, TN, TX, WA, WY
6-Part States: AL, AZ, AK, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, NE, ND, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV (add extra parts for city withholding taxes)
8-Part States: AL, DE, KY, MD, MI, MO, NY, OH, PA
Read More: Decoding W2 Copy Requirements >
EASY ONLINE FILING FOR 50 OR LESS W2 FORMS
For EASY FILING OF LESS THAN 50 W2 FORMS, an online system is a better option than printing forms.
Enter data online and we do the work for you for only $3.95 per form. Visit DiscountEfile.com for more information.
W3 TRANSMITTAL FORMS
Transmittal W-3 Forms are required only if you are printing and mailing W2 Copy A to the Federal Government.
One W3 is required to summarize all W2s for one employer. Order W-3 Forms.
Order compatible W-2 Envelopes to ensure mailing information aligns correctly in the windows. Order W-2 Envelopes
W-2 FILING DEADLINES
- January 31 – Recipient copies postmarked, Copy A mailed or efiled with IRS
These are federal deadlines. Most states follow the same dates.